Re: [xmca] perhaps. . .

From: Aleksandar Baucal (abaucal@f.bg.ac.yu)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2006 - 14:32:01 PST

I think Deb rise an interesting question. In my understanding it depends
very much on our interpretation what is meaning of the phrase
"scientific concept". For example, if it is really linked just with
concepts taken from sciences it would not be applicable for other forms
of cultural activity like art. However, I think that Vygotsky stress
scientific background because he dealt with cognitive development within
educational setting in the chapter of the T&L book. Concepts from
different sciences that are introduced withing teaching/learning process
are different from concepts one build through personal experience
because they exist/build hierarchical system with other concepts. What
is necessary part of the system of concepts are relations withing
concepts and intellectual/thinking operations (in the case of science
these are logical operations) which are inbuilt in the system. When
child appropriate the system of concepts and when the system of concepts
mediate her/his thinking it becomes logically structured. Now, if we
take this literally it would mean that artistic concepts can play
similar role just if they are structured in the hierarchical system of
logically defined concepts what might be true, but only in the case of
science of art. However, in my interpretation Vygotsky example with
scientific concepts can be generalized in the following way. Each
community built through history certain systems of concepts (not
necessary with clear logical definitions) linked with certain form of
cultural activity. These system is collectively standardized and
structured (or cultivated ). Furthermore, in this network/system of
concepts are inbuilt different patterns of thinking/emotional/moral
activities. For example, artist who is working on the production of
artistic piece. her/his thinking, feelings, expressions etc. are
mediated with some network of concepts/ideas/images which are produced
by some community/culture. In that respect her/his mental processes are
structured/guided/organized/framed by the system although this system is
not consisted of scientific concepts. I think that the key idea of
Vygotsky's example with scientific concepts is not that these concepts
are taken from science, but that one appropriate certain set of
ideas/concepts/images/feelings which are structured by certain
culture/community that is referent for the person. Perhaps Vygotsky
would cry out if he would hear my interpretation :)

yours
sasha