Re: [xmca] question

From: Martin Packer (packer@duq.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 08:58:47 PST

Joao,

Your project sounds interesting. I think you're pointing to something of a
contradiction that I feel is in the Crisis, and perhaps elsewhere. On the
one hand V does speak of the problem of using either historical materialism
or dialectical materialism for his "general psychology," a truly Marxist
psychology. The former was appropriate for Marx's sociology, a study of
society, but he's doing something different. The latter is too abstract. On
the other hand, the history that he tells of the discipline of psychology is
one in which there is an objective logic, operating behind the backs of
individual psychologists ("like a coiled string"), the laws of this logic
can be grasped through "scientific analysis," there are underlying inherent
contradictions, a revolutionary moment (the "crisis") has arrived as a
result of the pressure of practical concerns, and a future can be envisioned
where, in the form of the new general psychology, qualitatively different
from what has come before, time has ended. In short, this history has a form
that sounds (to the best of my limited knowledge) very much like that
dialectical materialism.

What do you think? (Sorry not to be able to write in Portugese)

Martin