Re: [xmca] Zopeds at the cultural historical level

From: Paul Dillon (phd_crit_think@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 20:05:35 PST

Ana,

  It is very significant, INmynotsohumbleO, that Kant's Critqiue of Judgment, the basis of Marcuse's work (Eros and Civilization), and also much praised by Hegel, in the "lesser Logic":, had to do with what the free play of imagination might be in relation to rationality in general. What if we think of zopeds as playgrounds of the imagination?

  Paul

Ana Marjanovic-Shane <ana@zmajcenter.org> wrote:
  I am also working on the role of play, as you know, and its role in
learning and development.
I find, however, that "PLAY" is a very heterogeneous and slippery
concept and that many people have many different definitions. Actually,
Brian Sutton-Smith even wrote a book on the rhetoric of play
(Sutton-Smith, 1997, The Ambiguity of Play) -a very useful and well
orienting pointer to the perils of misunderstandings about what is play,
anyway.
As I understand it (and always thought that Vygotsky understood it), is
that play is imagination in action (and imagination is internalized
play). -- That is a very broad definition, though, but allows for
looking at the whole specter of imaginative activities, both
interpersonal and intrapersonal as play-like activities which may become
tool like mediators in the ZPD.
Ana

wrote:

> [...]
>> The
>> > doctors re-claim their roles as experts after the crisis and from
>> what I
>> can
>> > tell make little effort to share resources with the nurses.

>> as
>> > well (is such a concept applicable to Vygotsky? Well I continue to
>> believe
>> > that Vygotsky was reading Dewey in his early career and was influenced
>> by
>> > him - but of course even saying this gets a lot of people angry. And
>> Anselm
>> > Strauss was working from a base developed by Mead and Dewey). From
>> what
>> > have been reading, one of the things people are trying to explore is
>> this
>> > notion is that there is some sense of negotiated ordering in the Zoped
>> > where, when facing different problems, different members of a learning
>> > community take different positions in the learning/development
>> equation
>> (can
>> > we really differentiate learning from development and would we want
>> > to?). This maybe works especially well if we are looking at learning
>> from a
>> > dialectical perspective - because what needs to happen for learning to
>> occur
>> > is for something to make you question what you are thinking, to cloud
>> the
>> > issues that you were sure of. I think of Piaget and the early work he
>> did
>> > with his own children. Wasn't Piaget actually learning - in a
>> dialectical
>> > fashion - from his own children. I think of my relationship with my
>> own
>> > children and I know they did things that completely threw me for a
>> loop,
>> > completely made me re-think issues I thought were set in my mind. They
>> were
>> > creating a natural disturbance in my Zoped. But by admitting this I
>> have
>> > admit I learn from my three year old - not in a cute type way, but
>> in a
>> real
>> > way where I have to give up my mantle of expert in our relationship.

>> the
>> > idea that the expert teaches and the student learns. I hate to say
>> it -
>> > because I'd rather stay away from economic issues - but it is also a
>> part of
>> > our capitalist base and how we allocate resources. We pay experts more
>> > because they are experts, we hire them as consultants because they are
>> > experts, we let them act as gate keepers and decision makers because
>> they
>> > are experts. I wonder to what extent Vygotsky has been assimilated

=== message truncated ===