Re: [xmca] Zopeds at the cultural historical level

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 12:05:23 PST

I am also working on the role of play, as you know, and its role in
learning and development.
I find, however, that "PLAY" is a very heterogeneous and slippery
concept and that many people have many different definitions. Actually,
Brian Sutton-Smith even wrote a book on the rhetoric of play
(Sutton-Smith, 1997, The Ambiguity of Play) -a very useful and well
orienting pointer to the perils of misunderstandings about what is play,
anyway.
As I understand it (and always thought that Vygotsky understood it), is
that play is imagination in action (and imagination is internalized
play). -- That is a very broad definition, though, but allows for
looking at the whole specter of imaginative activities, both
interpersonal and intrapersonal as play-like activities which may become
tool like mediators in the ZPD.
Ana

Ana Marjanovic'-Shane,Ph.D.

151 W. Tulpehocken St.