Re: [xmca] Zopeds and more competent peers

From: ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org
Date: Fri Dec 15 2006 - 06:59:29 PST

thanks stu

                      steven thorne
                      <slt13@psu.edu> To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
                      Sent by: cc:
                      xmca-bounces who-is-at web Subject: Re: [xmca] Zopeds and more competent peers
                      er.ucsd.edu

                      12/15/2006 08:30
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to "eXtended
                      Mind, Culture,
                      Activity"

hi Ed -- try the portland OR based book seller, powells
(www.powells.com) -- they list one copy available at $28 --

steve

On Dec 15, 2006, at 9:12 AM, ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org wrote:

> [...]
> The only website I found offering for sale was cambridge publishing
> and
> they charge in pounds. Steve do you have any suggestions for
> finding it
> on a site that accepts american dollars? I believe that dynamic
> assessment
> is exactly what special education needs to assist in the over
> identification of african-americans as being E/BD. However, i need
> to read
> more.
>
> eric
>

> Ana
> Marjanovic-Shane To:
> mcole@weber.ucsd.edu, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"
> <ana who-is-at zmajcenter. <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
> org> cc:
> Sent by: Subject: Re: [xmca]
> Zopeds and more competent peers
> xmca-bounces who-is-at web
> er.ucsd.edu
>

> 12/14/2006 01:50
> PM
> Please respond
> to "eXtended
> Mind, Culture,
> Activity"
>

> Mike and all,
> that is exactly what I meant. The question for us then is how to
> initiate changes in the educational system. (Both "teaching" and
> "assessment" components).
> I know a little bit about dynamic assessment and need to read more
> about
> it.
> (Thanks to Steve and some others, there are a lot of references for
> now).
> Ana
>

> Mike Cole wrote:
>> Ana-- You are rephrasing in more detail what I meant by referring to
>> zopeds
>> as
>> open systems. The problen with a lot of formal classroom education is
>> that
>> in fact they do not encourage development in the teacher as well
>> as the
>> kids. But really great teachers
>> are constantly developing. Vivian Paley comes to mind, or
>> Alexander
>> Luria.
>> mike
>>
>> On 12/14/06, Ana Marjanovic-Shane <ana@zmajcenter.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mike and Alexander (Sasha)
>>> I think that the concept of the ZPD changes the definitions of
>>> learning
>>> and development, too! If the ZPD is by nature an interactive and a
>>> social system, then there is no reason to look only at some
>>> people in
>>> the system and not all of them. What that means is that there
>>> must be
>>> some changes across the whole system -- all the participants
>>> included.
>>> The problem then with testing as a means of measuring
>>> "development" or
>>> "learning" is that it not only uses an entirely different
>>> assumptions (than ZPD), but that it actually -- in the line with