[xmca] non-classical thoughts!

From: Dot Robbins (drobbins72000@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 17:34:50 PST

Non-Classical Psychology
  In reading many messages over the past few days, I am somewhat struck at the type of discourse taken, more than the content of the messages. Just a couple of private comments, with no need for your response. Very slowly, there is a small, new discourse being developed to try and return to Vygotsky, inter alia, to begin to understand concepts from a different level. The label used for this discourse is "non-classical psychology," the term Elkonin gave to Vygotsky's cultural-historical approach. The idea right now is to return to older theories and try to understand them in the light of various new thinking today. There is a reference list at the bottom of the page, and two authors in particular have written interesting material, Dmitry Leontiev (2005), and V. Zinchenko (2001 and 2002). I have tried to contribute to these ideas, in an article I have (2007) that will be on my website in a couple of days. I will not get into the newer form of discourse here, but hope that
 some of you might be interested in thinking about a less linear approach to thinking and discussing, which includes a non-spatial approach to problems not yet truly understood, such as units of analysis, etc. I don't know if this approach will take root or not, but I do know that the mode of discourse we now have often falls into a sense of rhetoric or endless words. I would like to give caution to that, and setting up what can sometimes be viewed as false dichotomies. We need a discourse that fits within a specific system (also, for A. A. Leontiev, a system--plan--methodology). Otherwise, we are truly speaking so many words that are difficult to use without some system that truly translates into concrete action (be it human free action of will, or any other action needed to change ourselves and society). Thanks to anyone for investigating the articles I have offered, which have shown me that we have much to interprete from a win/win situation.....Thank you for your
 discussions on the past few days, all of which has triggered much thinking for me, and I think, many others. \n
\nSpinoza
\nFor a new discourse within non-classical psychology, it is extremely necessary to know Spinoza, with all of our interpretations. His thoughts on truth being perceived through "essence" (Zinchenko writes on similar, but different thoughts), which is fixed in eternal things...he writes on the "third space"--intuition; will as perfect understanding; truth as a possession of a true idea, where no further sign is needed; whole/part: "In order that all ideas may be reduced to unity, we shall endeavor so to associate and arrange them that our mind may, as far as possible reflect subjectively the reality of nature, both as a whole and as parts." (quote from Spinoza, sorry, don\'t have source here). Spinoza is a key component in non-classical psychology, and I am happy he is being discussed. So, wish there could be more on his ideas from Spinozian scholars. Thanks for the discussion.\n
\n
\nConstructivism/Constructionism
\nIn my notes it also stated that "constructionism foregrounds the social setting, wheras constructivism foregrounds the individual in the social setting." Vygotsky (1989 [1929] spoke about a "constructive method," but we need to reread his thoughts. Constructivism can be broken down into many things, such as "cognitive constructivism" or "social constructivism"...Gergen (1995, pp. 24-25) has written interesting thoughts on this, also speaking about Vygotsky. And, Hayles (1993, pp. 39-42) speaks of a "constrained constructivism." All of this discussion is also very important in better understanding the roots of Vygotsky. Thanks for that discussion.\n
\n
\nDefectology
\nYes, I agree with Katya R. that we need to have a better understanding of defectology. I would highly encourage people who can read German to find some books from Wolfgang Jantzen and Christel Manske. I have listed one below. There are initial discussions by some to perhaps have a seminar on defectology and Vygotsky in future, somewhere in Moscow, or perhaps it could be with Jantzen in Bremen, Germany. This is an aspect rarely discussed on xmca, and one of the core elements of Vygotskian thought. Thanks for that discussion.\n",1] ); //-->

  Spinoza
[...]

  Defectology
  Yes, I agree with Katya R. that we need to have a better understanding of defectology. I would highly encourage people who can read German to find some books from Wolfgang Jantzen and Christel Manske. I have listed one below. There are initial discussions by some to perhaps have a seminar on defectology and Vygotsky in future, somewhere in Moscow, or perhaps it could be with Jantzen in Bremen, Germany. This is an aspect rarely discussed on xmca, and one of the core elements of Vygotskian thought. Thanks for that discussion. \n
\nIn concluding, I am hoping that perhaps newer forms of discourse can take place in future, with many unresolved issues within Vygotskian thinking being discussed in the light of non-classical psychology. And, this will need to have the inclusion of many many Russian voices......Regarding the 7th International Vygotsky Memorial Conference in Moscow, November 14-17, 2006....a big thanks goes to the people who supported this conference. There were 17 countries represented, and people from three more countries who could not attend. We hope that newer ideas and a new discourse will be generated as a result of the conference. From June 20-29, 2007 there will be an International Summer School in Russia, titled: The Cultural-Historical Approach in Education in Russia: Golden Key Schools. It will be for teachers, practitioners, theorists, students, anyone. The attempt is have a smaller group of people come together to see how the Golden Key Schools function within the Vygotskian
 tradition, and to have days to dialogue and exchange ideas together. Thank you for your inspiration in the past few days, and the long reading time it has taken. May it continue.....\n
\n
\nwith best regards to each of you,
\nDot
\n
\nGergen, K. J. (1995). Social construction and the educational process. In L. P. Steffe & G. Gale (Eds.). \nConstructivism in Education. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
\n
\nHayles, K.N. (1993). Constrained constructivism: Locating scientific inquiry in the theater of representation. In G. Levine (Ed.), \nRealsim and Representation. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
\n
\n",1] ); //-->

[...]

  Dot

  Gergen, K. J. (1995). Social construction and the educational process. In L. P. Steffe & G. Gale (Eds.). Constructivism in Education. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

  Hayles, K.N. (1993). Constrained constructivism: Locating scientific inquiry in the theater of representation. In G. Levine (Ed.), Realsim and Representation. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.

    01). Jeder Mensch kann lernen—Perspektiven einer kulturhistorischen (Behinderten-) Pädagogik.\n Berlin: Luchterhand. (trans. Every Person can Learn—Perspectives of a cultural-historical (handicapped-) Pedagogy).
\n
\nLeontiev, D. (2005). Non-Classical Psychology: Beyond the Internal and the External. In A. Gulerce, A. Hofmeister, I. Staeuble, G. Saunders, and J. Kaye (Eds.) \nContemporary Theorizing in Psychology: Global Perspectives, (pp. 19-28). Concord, ON: Captus University Publications.
\n
\n
\nRobbins, D. (2003). Vygotsky\'s and A. A. Leontiev\'s Semiotics and Psycholinguistifcs: Applications for Education, Second Language Acquisition, and Theories of Language. \nCT: Praeger Publishers. (Chapter 4: Constructivism (Constructionism) and Teacher-Ability, pp. 55-72)
\n
\nRobbins, D. (2007). Critical Review of Sociocultural Theory, Cognitivism, Postmodernism: Redefining L. S. Vygotsky\'s Non-Classical Psychology. In Journal of Intercultural Pragmatics, Vol. 4, Nr. 1. (it will be on my website very soon)\n
\n
\nVygotsky, L. S. (1989 [1929]). Concrete human psychology. In Soviet Psychology, 27(2), pp. 53-77.\n
\n
\nZinchenko, V. (2001). External and Internal: Another Comment on the Issue. In S. Chaiklin (Ed.), ",1] ); //--> Jantzen, W. (2001). Jeder Mensch kann lernen—Perspektiven einer kulturhistorischen (Behinderten-) Pädagogik. Berlin: Luchterhand. (trans. Every Person can Learn—Perspectives of a cultural-historical (handicapped-) Pedagogy).

  Leontiev, D. (2005). Non-Classical Psychology: Beyond the Internal and the External. In A. Gulerce, A. Hofmeister, I. Staeuble, G. Saunders, and J. Kaye (Eds.) Contemporary Theorizing in Psychology: Global Perspectives, (pp. 19-28). Concord, ON: Captus University Publications.

  Robbins, D. (2003). Vygotsky's and A. A. Leontiev's Semiotics and Psycholinguistifcs: Applications for Education, Second Language Acquisition, and Theories of Language. CT: Praeger Publishers. (Chapter 4: Constructivism (Constructionism) and Teacher-Ability, pp. 55-72)

  Robbins, D. (2007). Critical Review of Sociocultural Theory, Cognitivism, Postmodernism: Redefining L. S. Vygotsky's Non-Classical Psychology. In Journal of Intercultural Pragmatics, Vol. 4, Nr. 1. (it will be on my website very soon)

  Vygotsky, L. S. (1989 [1929]). Concrete human psychology. In Soviet Psychology, 27(2), pp. 53-77.

  Zinchenko, V. (2001). External and Internal: Another Comment on the Issue. In S. Chaiklin (Ed.), The Theory and Practice of Cultural-Historical \nPsychology, (pp.135-147). Denmark: Aarhus University Press.
\n
\nZinchenko, V. (2002). From Classical to Organic Psychology: In Commeration of the Centennial of Lev Vygotsky\'s Birth. In D. Robbins and A. Stetsenko (Eds.), \nVoices within Vygotsky\'s Non-Classical Psychology: Past, Present, Future, (pp. 3-26). New York: Nova Science.
\n------
Dr. Dorothy (Dot) Robbins
www.vygotsky-robbins.com
\n\n",0] ); //--> The Theory and Practice of Cultural-Historical Psychology, (pp.135-147). Denmark: Aarhus University Press.

  Zinchenko, V. (2002). From Classical to Organic Psychology: In Commeration of the Centennial of Lev Vygotsky's Birth. In D. Robbins and A. Stetsenko (Eds.), Voices within Vygotsky's Non-Classical Psychology: Past, Present, Future, (pp. 3-26). New York: Nova Science
  ____
  "] ,[] ,[] ,[] ,"Dec 3, 2006 6:20 PM","Fwd: non-classical thinking","",[] ,1,,,"Sun Dec 3 2006_6:20 PM","On 12/3/06, Dot Robbins wrote:","On 12/3/06, Dot Robbins <dot.robbins@gmail.com> wrote:","gmail.com",,,"","",0,,"",0,,0,"In reply to \"non-classical thinking\"",0] ); D(["mb","Wolfgang, For Your Information!!!!",1] ); //-->

Dorothy (Dot) Robbins
Professor of German
Russian Orphanage Vyschgorod
www.vygotsky-robbins.com