Re: [xmca] New Valsiner SEmiots paper on MCA website at lchc

From: Carol Macdonald (carolmacdon@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2006 - 02:08:36 PST

Hi David
I have highlighted the paragraph about the ZPD. At some level Valsiner
might be right, but if he is wholly correct then we can never ascertain the
possibility of teaching, only of learning.[And does he think *that* is also
impossible?]

One of students has just done a replication of LSV's blocks, 3 years, 5
years, 8 years, 11 years, 15 years and adults and video-ed it all. It is a
very clear illustration that what the child is doing is negotiating (the
younger children) meaning with Paula; she stretches out cues and if they are
too small that cannot use that external tool. A little older children can
grasp what is being offered when they are stuck. Then adults just get
irritated when she tries to intervene. The results were so classically
LSV-Sakharov that it was eery. The route from not being able to be helped,
to being helped, to resisting help has been for us absolutely and abundantly
clear. I am not at all convinced that all the learning goes on the child's
head. Perhaps in principle/theory, this is neat, but out there in the
field, may I suggest that LSV's interpretation is vindicated.

Happy Thanksgiving. I hope the weather picks up. (Not you David, sorry.)

Carol