RE: [xmca] New Valsiner SEmiots paper on MCA website at lchc

From: Tony Whitson (twhitson@udel.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2006 - 16:18:59 PST

Peirce absolutely would not agree that thirdness is any less real than
firstness. The locution "independent existence of real things" begs the
question, "independent OF WHAT?" Peirce rejects the dualism that is
responded to in opposite ways by realism and by idealism. Peirce believed in
reality, and in real things, but not reality or real things independent of
the relations in which real things are constituted. The thirdness that, to
our knowledge, is especially realized in human intellectual activity is no
less primordial than firstness and secondness in the constitution of the
world that was emerging prior to the advent of humankind.

Talk or thought about Firsts requires logical precision from Seconds and
Thirds. The idea is not that Firsts somehow existed temporally or
ontologically before--or independently of--Seconds and Thirds.

An instance of this way of understanding can be seen in Dewey's Reflex Arc
paper: The "reflex arc" is not a matter of stimuli and responses that become
s-i dyads and then a series of dyadic reactions that are prior to the arc.

As I noted in a different thread:
John Deely articulates a "Semiotist" position as against both the Realist
and the Idealist. Deely sees even Jameson as trapped in an ideology (my
word) of "Representation" (Locke, Kant, etc.) rather than awareness of
signification (Poinsot, Peirce, etc.) through essentially triadic
sign-relations, in which the triadically related terms participate together
in semiosis without regard for boundaries between "mind" and "world," etc.