Re: [xmca] Clifford Geertz

From: Ed Wall (ewall@umich.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2006 - 17:47:55 PST

Mike

Those metaphors may have been, in a sense, the high point. After
that, both the host and the guest embarked on a journey to suggest
that Geertz was not enough aware of the iron cage and, in fact, his
approach would, in a sense, fail to detect iron cages and naively be
sidetracked (the guest created a story where he placed Geertz in
North Vietnam taking propaganda as a given), that any hope lay in a
return to Descartes who, by definition, was immune to such thinking.

Ed