Re: [xmca] Question: Geertz & Princeton Institute?

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2006 - 08:07:44 PST

It was not Geertz but Latour whose nomination was controversial.
Geertz was the senior person, founding "chair" in fact, for social
science at the Insititute for Advanced Studies, and he nominated
Latour for a permanent position. But this was at the height of the
"science wars" and "culture wars" and the scientists at the Institute
blackballed Latour. It was a major scandal all round.

JAY.

At 10:57 AM 11/5/2006, you wrote:
>I'm wondering if anybody knows about this, and if there's anything
>interesting to know about it:
>
>I remember Geertz was nominated for a position at the Institute for
>Advanced Research (I think that's what it's called -- the place
>where Einstein worked) at Princeton, but the nomination was
>initially blocked & then there was some conflict over that.
>
>I don't know what the outcome was, or if there's anything of
>interest in the whole affair. I'm sure I'd find out something just
>by checking Wikipedia; but I'm really interested in what folks on
>this list might know or think about it, aside from whatever I might
>be able to find out elsewhere.
>
>I'm guessing that the controversy had less to do with Geertz himself
>than with issues concerning social or human sciences vs. positive
>natural sciences.
>
>Anybody know?
>
>Tony Whitson
>UD School of Education