Re: [xmca] La teoría de la actividad y la práctica , bilingualism

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2006 - 08:16:23 PDT

Hi all,
I have been surprised by the way language and discourse has come
across in the messages pertaining to the language we use here. Using
Babblefish and pretending that one language can be translated into
another, and, equivalently, the styles, genres of speaking/thinking,
can be translated into another. TRADUTORE TRADITORE, say the Italians.

I speak 3 languages fluently--unfortunately not Spanish--and have
some acquaintance with Latin and I have to say that Marx in English
is not the same as Marx in German; Kant or Heidegger in English no
longer are the Heidegger I know in German, Bourdieu in English is not
the same as Bourdieu in French and so on. Having translations of many
of the books I work with, I note how much English RENDERINGS are
interpretations and approximations, with which I sometimes do not
agree. The very point gets lost. Allusions, alliterations,
metaphors.... all of this gets lost, and with it, the characteristic
of writing and WHAT is being said.

Well, some "food for thought"?
Michael