Re: [xmca] La teoría de la activ=?ISO-8859-1?Q?idad_y_la_pr=E1ctica_, _bilingualism?=

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 10:19:45 PDT

Nacho and other bilinguales en Espanol i English.

I was apparently (as usual!) unclear regarding bilingual activity on XMCA.

My first goal, which I have sought to achieve for some time, is to have at
least one,
perhaps more, articles that exist in English and anther language (Spanish
appears to
be working, the attempt with Clot's paper failed because we could not
identify a proper
text) as a means of sensitizing members of XMCA who live in English language
countries or for whom English is a native language to the difficulties of
our many colleagues who READ English but do not write easily in English (as
I can read Russian but write badly in it). The idea was for people to have
access to the article in a language
they could read and to write in any language they chose and then negotiate
the meanings they took from it.

A second goal was to see how far machine translation like babblefish could
aid such an effort. I think a lot.

A third goal, which has emerged more recently, is to assist colleagues in
Spanish speaking countries in partifcular to identify such dural language
texts and to see if we could create an enriching experience for our
university students by having them discuss texts with each other in the
manner suggested for xmca as a whole.

Of course, all of this is problematic. So is doing nothing about the
problems caused by linguistic assymetry among xmca members.
mike

This goal has two subgoals