Re: [xmca] Human footprint too big for nature

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 18:46:06 PDT

Well, does CHAT have anything to say about this?
i.e. about ways in which patterns of activity and
culture change historically? Certainly Mike Cole
and others have been interested in figuring out
some things about the sustainability of
institutions and activity patterns that
constitute institutions, and the
cultural-historical and marxist heritage of CHAT
also leans in the direction of informing us about macro-change.

The theory of the ecologists I mentioned before
(Holling et al.) is that we have to collapse
before we change ... or at least that this is
what happens in natural ecosystems. I have argued
for years that we live in a special kind of
ecosystem, one where meaning (culture) influences
actions above and beyond what material forces or
biological needs require. But it's still an
ecosystem (eco-social-semiotic system) for all that.

I am not much of an optimist about David's
question. But I will note, on the optimistic
side, that Bruno Latour's recent arguments about
the "thinness" of global economic-technological
networks and how much lies, somewhat invisibly,
outside them, may mean that the juggernauts we
imagine we have to tilt Quixote-wise against may
not be quite as big, or invincible as they seem and want to seem to be.

On the less-than-optimistic side, the easiest way
to stop a juggernaut in an over-bloated complex
system is to trigger a collapse, which you might
even do accidentally. "Resilience theory", which
grew out of "robustness" theory in ecology, has
evolved into something more of a theory of the
limits to resilience. It's a dangerous science,
since it identifies just how to sink the whole
system. I gave up a line of research two years
ago because I was too worried about this danger.
Juggernauts can be stopped, but can they be stopped safely?

JAY.