RE: [xmca] Unbelievable - & Spanish

From: Alexander Surmava (monada@netvox.ru)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 18:13:36 PDT

Hi Ana,

Sorry for the delay with answer. On my return from round the world tour
which in the latest moment was crowned (on my way to Heathrow airport in
London) by robbery so that I’ve lost my laptop with ALL PHOTOS :-(, passport
and two notebooks with my theoretic reflections ) I become slightly ill –
probably something like acclimatization in cold Moscow’s autumn :-).

Finally I am OK and ready to explain the riddle of “singularity” from my

This “singularity” means no more than abstract, elementary form of life.
This form of life is an attribute of unicellular organisms and to a great
extent – plants and characterize them as active object oriented subjects.
Unlike most of classics of CHAT (including LSV and partly ANL) I don’t share
Cartesian idea that: 1. life is merely mechanic, S - R process and that 2.
object oriented activity is something which can be ascribed only to humans
or broader to animals so that object oriented activity is necessarily
connected with sensation, psyche or even consciousness.

Consistent analysis based on ideas of Russian physiologist Nikolaj Bernstein
and Il’enkov’s interpretation of Spinozian idea of “thinking body” leads us
to conclusion that the Cartesian idea of mechanical nature of life is
totally false and the only way to distinguish (theoretically) the living
creature from the dead one is to examine the presence of spontaneous object
oriented activity. We all have a lot of chances to see in Hollywood
thrillers how totally dead cadaver reacts on enough powerful electric
stimuli. In the same time without deep philosophical argumentation all
physicians examining humans which are not evidently alive trying to detect a
signs of some spontaneous activity like pulse, or heartbeats.

It’s curious but even A.N.Leont’ev who positively refused plants (and
hesitated in ascribing it to all animals) in object oriented activity trying
to explain what is activity as it is insisted that plant choose the sun as
it’s object and passionately follow it’s celestial movement by movement of
its own leaves. (“Problems of development of psyche.”)

It’s evident that this words of ANL were inspired by well known text of
“Paris manuscripts”of Karl Marx “The sun is the object of the plant — an
indispensable object to it, confirming its life — just as the plant is an
object of the sun, being an expression of the life-awakening power of the
sun, of the sun’s objective essential power”, while the specific
contradiction evolved from Pavlov’s Cartesianism with its basic S-R
approach.

So we assume that the life itself is an active or object oriented process,
characterized by newborn subject-object relation. In previous simpler modes
of interaction, namely in mechanical and chemical type of interaction we
have now reason to ascribe to one side of interaction a dignity of
subjectness (even less subjectivity) while treat the other part as merely
object.

In the same time we have no reason to ascribe to this newborn alive subject
something like sensation, psyche or consciousness.

Summarizing all this I can say that life as it is characterized by active or
subjective relation to the world and can be understood as an identity of
three attributes: spontaneity, productivity and objectivity.

I can’t explain it here in more detail. If you like you can read much more
detailed explanation in my article “LIFE, PSYCHE, CONSCIOUSNESS” which is
easy to download from here:
http://www.voxnet.ru/~monada/articles.php?lng=eng

>From this point of view becomes evident that both LSV and ANL staying
entirely inside the S-R paradigm (thou trying to escape from its trap) had
no chance to solve “the basic problem of psychology – problem of freedom”.
(The last taken into the quotation marks words belongs to LSV and will be
published this autumn in the first issue of new journal of Vygotsky
Institute of psychology in Moscow.) I mean, that their attempt of
materialistic comprehension of high mental functions based on the notion of
life as something mechanical or in other words as something basically dead
was totally unrealizable. Dead cadaver as well as stimulus reactive
marionette can be free only in ill imagination of Cartesian theoretician.

Well, but what about the promised split?

The split between the abstract object oriented activity and reflexive (I
insist, not reflective, but reflexive) activity taking place in phylogenesis
when the pair of daughter cells of an ancient unicellular organism didn’t
part each other as they used to do previously but give birth to basically
new type of an organism whose object oriented activity is now substantially
mediated by self directed of reflexive activity of its subactive organs. The
life of this organism taking in relation to its object is sensation or
intellect while taking in relation to itself is selfsensation or affect.
Thus affect and intellect are comprehended not as something which has
different roots and interacts in some external unity but as something
basically identical, as two opposite attributes of one and the same life.

So I strongly object “people like Jean-Luc Nancy” who insists that “there
has to be a WITH preceding this split so that it can occur in the first
place, but it is an undifferentiated WITH…’ this, that, and the other.
Trying to share the basic theoretic position of LSV which are known as
materialistic and dialectical approach of Spinoza and Marx (thou inevitably
contradicting to his scientific results) we insist that the most basic
relation is relation of subject to its object, the life relation, while
“WITH-relation” or in our terms reflexive relation in no more than derivate
form of the same object oriented activity.

Again I have interrupt myself and put the dot, because my explanations
become too long. All details, including the next - human or cultural stage
of development you can find in mentioned above article.

As for Vygotsky’s attempts “to break out of” slightly naïve rooted in French
Enlightment position regarding different cultures I agree with you that this
question is worth to discuss.

Best wishes

Sasha