Re: [xmca] Forgiveness

From: Carol Macdonald (carolmacdon@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 05:09:03 PDT

Hi Andy
I would just like to respond to your remarks about the speaker on South
Africa. People were astonshed that we constituted a Truth and
Reconciliation Commission so soon after the end of Apartheid. (Austria took
40 years to do the same.) The director was Bishop Tutu, who kept the doors
eopn between people during the bad years. He had to listen to the most
terrible stories (along with the committee), and someotimes he couldn't bear
it and cried and cried. Needless to say, most of the victims cried a great
deal. Then there were the perpetrators some of whom came forward, and what
they had done was also terrible. I reckon we would have needed a decade to
get through all the hurt, but there was a cut off date, and several volumes
were developed and presented to Mandela.

The new government did not address violence and criminality in the
townships, because they feared it would make them unpopular, and as a result
we have this terrible crime--800 murders reported in Johannesburg last
year and many thousands of violent break-ins, many car hijacks. So we live
with a different fear now. I have been the object of crime 5 times in the
last 12 years (5 times too many).

I cannot begin to tell you though of the capacity of African people to
forgive. I think that is why apartheid lasted so long. I know in trauma
counselling you have to wait 3 days for the adrenaline to calm down a bit
(but it is still there for ages), but we are talking here about people
talking about political crimes perpetrated up to a decade ago. It wasn't
about "What happened to you last week". This T&R Commission was cathartic
for the whole nation, and I felt we were brave to mount it at all.

That is my tuppence worth for someone who lived through apartheid and
beyond.

Carol