Re: [xmca] Forgiveness

From: Joce Nuttall (joce.nuttall@education.monash.edu.au)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 21:27:13 PDT

Hi Mike

Highly recommended reading: 'Foregiveness and Other Acts of Love' by
Stephanie Dowrick. I think it is a Penguin book - but should be easily
available via Amazon etc - a bestseller downunder here in Australia.
Excellent chapter also on Courage.

Best wishes
Joce

> OK-- So here is another topic. Any help out there greatly appreciated.
>
> In my household the topic of forgiveness is a burning issue. There are
> a lot
> of sources.
>
> First, we have had a visit from a friend who has had a stroke and whose
> husband has left her
> and she is in deep pain.
>
> Second, we have been reading about the Amish parents in Pennsylvania
> who put
> aside, so far as
> we can tell, the unbelievable anger and pain they must have
> experienced, and
> have forgiven the man
> who killed their children, welcomed his wife into their community, and
> (again, so far as we can tell,
> for-given him his unforgivable (it would seem) trespasses.
>
> Third, there is fiction brewing locallly that involves a mother and
> daughter
> who are in conflict where the
> mother has transgressed the law seriously and the daughter is living with
> the consequences.
>
> So what does anyone on this amazing list of people have to counsel us
> about
> forgiveness, No eye for
> a tooth. What makes it possible? Legitimate? Forgivable, to forgive
> someone
> for causing unspeakable
> pain?
>
> This is all at the more or less personal/interpersonal level. I am well
> aware that there are macro versions of these
> questions that deserve all the attention we can give them, but up
> close and
> personal. --When is forgiveness possible
> and forgivable?
>
> Help please
> mike

Joce Nuttall, PhD
Senior Lecturer, Co-ordinator BECSt and MEd(ECE) (Singapore)
Monash University - Faculty of Education
Peninsula Campus
P O Box 527
Frankston
VIC 3199
Australia

Phone (+613) 9904 4087 Fax (+613 9904 4027) Email: joce.nuttall@education.monash.edu.au

CRICOS Provider: Monash University 00008C