Re: [xmca] Vygotsky vs. Derrida

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 06:20:18 PDT

David,
I don't think you are right. Derrida writes about the problem of
translating, including the translation of a language into itself,
which is as big a problem as translating into another language
If you want to know Derrida's view on the role of the body to
knowing, I would recommend "On touching--Jean-Luc Nancy";
If you want to know on Derrida's dialectical writing, read, for
example, his work on forgiveness. His point is that you can only
forgive the unforgivable; that which is forgivable doesn't requires
little to anything on the part of the forgiving person.

He is probably the most misunderstood philosopher, because
interpreted from non-dialectical scholars. When you say, that his
work is "pretty much straight Saussurean structuralism," you are
reducing the complex oeuvre of an interesting philosopher to nothing.
You don't capture his understanding of Hegel, Marx, Husserl,
Heidegger etc.

Just a few words from a person who has read a lot from this
philosophers and those who interacted with him, and from a person who
attempted to understand how this way of thinking fits with a cultural-
historical approach.

I actually showed in a paper that recently appeared in SEMIOTICA a
possible lineage from Marx; you replace the words "commodity" by
"sign" and all the examples Marx uses with examples from semiotics,
and you end up with phrases that Derrida could have written.....

Cheers,

Michael