Re: [xmca] Leont'ev responds (in abstentia) to the Socio-CulturalTheory Interest Group Seminar Series

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2006 - 11:23:39 PDT

Fascinating observations, David.
A couple of thoughts set off by them.

1) The social situation of development in this case of second language
learning is that it involves in-school, second language
teaching. LSV argued that deliberate instruction was central to acquisition
of "true"/"scientific" concepts. When I have met
(for example) Liberian children who have acquired several languages before
the age of 10 with no schooling, I sincerely doubt
that the second, third....... language learning involved the scientific
concepts.

2. The role-based play versus rule-based play is precisely Piaget's
differentiaion of play in early childhood and middle
childhood, pre-operational and operational stages respectively.

hmmmmmmm
mike