Re: [xmca] Online archive

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2006 - 19:34:25 PDT

Hi Don,

Yes, it has all been a bit surreal. Thailand has had nearly 20
military coups, and there appears to be general acceptance of them as
a means to "give power back to the people" after a megalomaniac
leader has assumed too much power, and all the trappings that go with
that power, including extrajudicial killings in the thousands and
blatant theft. Fortunately this one was not nearly as violent as
previous ones (1992), but there has no doubt been a lot covered up -
extended periods of automatic gunfire heard overnight left
unexplained, for example. Now the country is being run by a military
that is claiming to represent the monarchy in protecting the people
and the monarch. The constitution that was written and debated and
was considered progressive and liberating has been ditched, the
leader's main cronies have been locked up, a new prime minister is
being installed, and all sorts of people are being ordered to report
to the army headquarters for further orders. I am sure many others in
XMCA are familiar with these situations. In fact, a rather
insensitive colleague who has spent time in Sth. America claimed that
this coup was not a real one, and went on to tell me what it was
lacking. I have no answers, but democracy seems to be an ill fit in
many Asian contexts which I am familiar with.

Phil