Re: [xmca] Kevin's paper for discussion: causality

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 05:51:08 PDT

Emily, I have no expertise to answer such a question. We really shot off on
a tangent. Steve introduced the question of causality after Mike questioned
the idea of the school system "producing" "uneducated people." I remain
sceptical of the idea of structures producing injustice without any human
agency, so I was interested in seeing what other people would suggest. I
have also been thinking about "causality" recently. It just seemed to me
that we were never going to get clarity about the "cause" of what Kevin
called "symmetrical" outcomes unless we had some clarity about agency.
But I can't answer your question, Emily.
Andy