Re: [xmca] Kevin's paper for discussion: causality

From: Steve Gabosch (sgabosch@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 06:04:42 PDT

Hi Andy. I think the phrase "causality exists in nature" means that
necessity and regularity exist in nature, and therefore, with
investigation, can be generalized into scientific laws and
principles. This question of the existence of causality in nature is
not unrelated to the question whether lawfulness exists in nature,
which we kicked around a year or two ago here on xmca. It most
certainly isn't my purpose to terminate the discussion of causality
by beginning with the idea it exists - rather, I see this as a solid
starting point. Nor am I suggesting causality is merely an
explanation - I am suggesting it is a fact, which of course becomes
integrated into explanations. All of what I am saying here is very
basic to the scientific method. Your point on competition is
interesting. I would agree with the statement that competition
exists in nature - but the cause-effect statement "therefore Man is
competitive" does not necessarily follow for me. To my mind, that
would be a reductionist-biological causal explanation that excludes
the necessary conditions of human society that must be taken into
account to understand competition between humans - and the possible
conditions which could eliminate it. I am curious, Andy, how perhaps
you, and anyone else - how any scientist, natural, social or both -
can conceptualize nature, not to mention society, without the idea
that causality exists. I still plan to dig back into Kevin's paper
and look for aspects of causal relations he explicates to see if this
helps understand his comparisons and insights. Perhaps some of our
discussion of causality could move in that direction, since Kevin's
investigation arena is especially familiar and relevant to xmca discussions.

- Steve