Re: [xmca] Kevin's paper for discussion: causality

From: Steve Gabosch (sgabosch@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2006 - 15:36:14 PDT

Ana, these are really great points. Something to ask is just what is
a cause, what is an effect, and how are they similar and
different? Perhaps all events are both effects and causes, belonging
to an "infinite causal continuum" (some ideas from Dean Gano, I'll
speak of his ideas a little in subsequent posts - he has developed a
provocative "root cause analysis" method with an interesting
philosophy about causality that I learned about last week). You make
this point, speaking of mazes and networks of events. I ran across a
quote in a Wikipedia article on causality from ancient Indian
philosophy that captures Gano's idea about the unity of cause and
effect - "Cause is the effect concealed, effect is the cause
revealed." I find that evocative. Another observation: your points
seem to suggest two very different time lines - one from the present
to the past - history - and the other, from the present to the future
- possibility. Once something has happened, its causes are/were
real, yes? But for things that have not yet happened, causes are
only possible but never fully determined. Two very different kinds
of problems, yet we must use one to solve the other. I also really
like your point about mediation, which certainly does seem to be
essential for any theory of causation, especially in human
affairs. And your point about models seems especially
important. For a given series of occurred events, what methods
should one use to choose an appropriate "model" of it? What more
thoughts do you have, Ana, on how causality can be modeled? When is
a mechanical model useful/inadequate, when is a dynamic systems
theory model useful/inadequate, what other models do we have available, etc.?
- Steve