Re: [xmca] Kevin's paper for discussion

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2006 - 10:44:23 PDT

Hi Kevin--

Thanks for the expansion on the issues I touched on in my note. As tried to
indicate at the start of the message, I was kind of stalling to allow others
to read (I am sorry the video
has not been posted, not sure why--I will follow up on Monday).

Anyway, I wasn't trying to take issue with the general points you were
making but addressing an issue that has long bothered me about
"socio-cultural" approaches to
human development/behavior/whatever. That is, biological variation gets
submerged,
except perhaps in discussion of gender, and even then, the way biology is
treated is as
a detectable distinction, the consequences of which are entirely
"sociocultural." As if
sociality was not a biological characterstic of homo sapiens and culture was
not a biological constituent of the human brain and body.

I picked up on only one part of this knot of issues, failure in school. And
to keep it personal, my own failure do develop deep mathematic
understanding. There are many environmental contingencies involved in my own
ineptitude, often cultural in nature, too. And I am pretty certain that I
could, under some circumstances, have developed a much deeper grasp of this
important intellectual domain. But I also believe that, for example, my son,
far more
easily acquired an intuitive grasp of various mathematical quetions at the
age of 8 than I ever had, so the sociocultural environment has diffeent
material to work on.

Your point about non-benign aspects of communities of practice is perfectly
well taken and
mirrors objections to the assumed benign character of zones of proximal
development which has been contests by several including myself and
colleagues.

I am hoping that others will enter into the central arguments you are making
and that the video will soon be available as support for deeper discussion.

mike