[xmca] Re: Why ZOPED instead of ZPD, what is the difference?

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 09:00:12 PDT

Hi Leroy-- Sounds like you have found some neat ways to get students
actively engaged which is always a great thing.

About the term, Zoped. Its kind of an idiocyncratic term that great up from
our
practices at LCHC over the years. Perhaps it was pushed along a little by
the fact
that in the early 1980's we began to engage in educational/developmental
activities
after school where play is an important component.

Zo-ped.

So lets start with the ped part. That is easy enough. Shorthand for pedagogy
and as you note, e- for education and d for development are in there, maybe
p is for
promoting?

Zo has a different history. In the places I worked in West Africa, the
local shamans
were referred to as Zo's. In Liberian English the term Zo was translated as
"witch doctor." Powerful figures. They received a lot of respect in part
because of a belief
in the efficacy of what we would call magic and in part because of their
ability to read the local social order shrewdly to identify areas of
conflict that might usefully be overcome for people to achieve whatever it
was they came to the Zo for-- curing an
illness, gaining a lover, winning a soccer match.............

Now my belief about great teaching is that it is part systematic knowledge
gained from
a combination of prior education and experience. But when I encounter
someone like
Vivian Paley, or Alexander Luria, or.......... (all of us who are lucky have
had such
teachers) there is something more than prior education and experience
involved, something, well, something perhaps magical, ineffible, that makes
the interactions
really work.

This "something magical" certainly is very important in our afterschool
work. It includes not only the experience and good will of those involved,
but also strong emotional
bonds that grow between undergrads, kids and staff. -- almost a kind of
emotional
flow.

Zo, Vygotsky style, we brought these two streams of human experience, the
Ped and the Zo and used it to refer to zones of nearest (proximal)
development
as Zopeds.

We are constantly reminded in the course of people appropriating and making
their own these ideas that zopeds are not things, they are processes.
Hence, at one site where colleagues have started up their own 5thDimension,
it is normal to talk of people
zopeding. Nice evidence of the use of theory in practice.

Sorry I did not have time to answer followup by ed and others on this
thread, but have
a couple of seminars to run as the clock chimes.
mike

http://www.speakeasy.org/%7Eanamshane>