Re: [xmca] Playfully Answering Ana--

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@uga.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2006 - 08:16:51 PDT

I'm interested in Mike's term "regressive zopeds." Jim Wertsch, about a
dozen years ago, posed the question, "development toward what?" Mike's term
has a value judgment--children learning to be skinheads would be, to me, in
regressive zopeds, if I understand Mike's term correctly. Perhaps we can
all even agree on that. But we'd have less agreement on classroom
instruction that some of us would approve of, and others not. I think of,
for instance, character education, in which the most influential people
believe in highly authoritarian conceptions of CE that presume adults are
virtuous and students (particularly those from impoverished backgrounds and
non Christian families) are expected to be obedient. Others critique this
view as limiting on students' agency, generally taking a Deweyian
perspective. So, is a "school of character" in a "regressive zoped"?
Depends on where you think development should be headed. p