Re: [xmca] J.M. Baldwin, ZPD, Chaiklin

From: bb (xmca-whoever@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2006 - 20:13:54 PDT

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 8:44 pm, Mike Cole wrote:
> I am clearly inclined to go with an activity/contingent view of development
> and zopeds, but I really am interested in whether
> any evidence exists for the idea of a zoped from lsv or anyone that fits
> the criteria set by Seth.

This is becoming reminiscent of an Agony in Eight Fits:

They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care;
They pursued it with forks and hope;
They threatened its life with a railway-share;
They charmed it with smiles and soap.

They shuddered to think that
(before they succeed)
they might eventually become wizen,
And the moderator, excited at last,
Went bounding along on the tip of his horizon,
For the daylight was nearly past.

"There is Thingumbob shouting!" it was dialectically said,
"He is shouting like mad, as if doped!
He is waving his hands, he is wagging his head,
He has certainly found a zoped!"

They gazed in delight, while the theorist exclaimed
"He was always a desperate wag!"
They beheld him -- their Half-Baker -- their hero unnamed --
On the top of a neighboring crag..."

Erect and sublime, for one moment of time.
In the next, that wild figure they saw
(As if stung by a spasm) plunge into a chasm,
While they waited and listened in awe.

"It's a Zoped!" was the sound that first came to their ears,
And seemed almost too good to be true.
Then followed a torrent of laughter and cheers:
Then the ominous words "It's a scaff-"

Then, silence. Some fancied they heard in the air
A weary and wandering sigh
Then sounded like "-old!" but the others declare
It was only a breeze that went by.

Grand apologies to Lewis Carroll