Re: [xmca] 2007 AERA Proposal Submission System is open :)

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2006 - 16:31:33 PDT

How would you apply the idea of looking at learning and development as a
dialectical
whole to the case of Franklin's play, Lois? And to Vygotsky's ideas of the
relation between
learning and development? Sounds like a very promising way to get past
either/or but I am
not sure if it gets past learning leads development. Perhaps if that latter
phrase were re-
formulated as "learning can, under properly organized conditions, lead
development" a
dialect could be formulated?

As a not-fully-recovered S-R psychologist where all I have learned, which
Dewey tried to teach
me half a century before I was born, is that R leads S, so how can S lead R.
Kinda like "in the
beginning is the deed."

Still, learning and development can be a puzzler.
What's a prime example for your way of approaching the issue?
mike