Re: [xmca] Did Franklin Participate in a Zoped?

From: Althea Scott Nixon (althea.nixon@gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 08:13:25 PDT

Thanks, Ana!

I think Chaiklin relates the term "maturing" psychological functions
to the restructuring of psychological functions and defines
development as such. But your post makes me want to return to the
text to see when he uses each term, because I think you're right, they
are different concepts.

When you wrote about "restructuring the relationships between
different psychological functions", I focused on the word
relationships. This brings up another question we were discussing in
class: Chaiklin's argument about development of the whole child. I
think he would agree with you that it is not just the restructuring of
individual psychological functions: It is the "integrated structure of
relationships between functions, rather than considering individual
psychological functions in isolation" (p. 46). Would you say that
development is always about the whole or can it also be the
restructuring of relationships between some or a few psychological
functions? Should a model of development "consider the whole child,
as an integral person" (p. 46), as Chaiklin argues?

I really like your description,
In that light, a child does not "receive various methods of assistance" -
> but instead, enters into a new interactive system of relationships and
> processes. Joint activity is one of the ways that child can enter, explore
> and practice this new world in which there are new objects/objectives, new
> relationships and new rules.

Thanks, everyone, for replying to my posts. I'm sharing everything
with the students in my class. For a moment I can say that I stopped
being only a lurker! How cool.
Althea

--
Althea Scott Nixon