Re: [xmca] article on social class

From: Richard Beach (rbeach@umn.edu)
Date: Sat May 06 2006 - 09:36:46 PDT

        Some texts I¹ve found useful in thinking about issues of class and
identity construction include Julie Bettie¹s (2003) study of 12th grade
working-and middle-class Mexican-American and white females in a Central
Valley California high school; Bettie found that students were more likely
to define themselves and others in terms of racial or gender rather than
class differences; working-class Mexican-American and white students
therefore did not acknowledge certain economic issues they shared as
working-class people.

        Another study is Julie Lindquist¹s (2002) analysis of rhetorical
arguments in a working-class bar in which she identified a tension between
her own ³what-if² speculative argumentative mode and the
³what-is²‹this-is-the-way-the-world-is mode of her ³working-class²
customers‹a distinction related to the challenge of creating political
change through encouraging working-class people to envision alternative
futures and political agendas.

        Then, Sadowski (2003) identifies how upper-middle class adolescents
face enormous pressures from their achievement-oriented parents to engage in
practices leading to admissions to the ³right school.² This echoes some of
the current research on ³middle-class² families at the UCLA Center on
Everyday Lives of Families <http://www.celf.ucla.edu/> that finds that
middle-class families are highly scheduled in a need to keep busy‹also
leading to stress.

            References/other texts:
Bernstein, B. (1996). Pedagogy, symbolic control and identity. London:
Taylor Francis.
Bettie, J. (2003). Women without class. Berkeley: University of California
Press.
Bottero W., & Irwin S. (2003). Locating difference: Class, Œrace¹ and
gender, and the shaping of social inequalities. The Sociological Review,
51(4), 463-483.
Eckert, P. (1989). Jocks & Burnouts: Social categories and identity in the
high school. New York: Teachers College Press.
Eckert. P. (2000). Linguistic variation as social practice: The lingustic
construction of identity in Belten High. New York: Blackwell.
Hicks, D. (2001). Literacies and masculinities in the life of a young
working-class boy. Language Arts, 78(3), 217-226.
Hicks, D. (2002). Reading lives: Working-class children and literacy
learning. New York: Teachers College Press.
Hicks, D. (2005). Cultural hauntings: Girlhood fictions from working-poor
America. Qualitative Inquiry, 11(2), 170-190.
Gibson-Graham, J. K., Resnick, S., & Wolff, R. D. (Eds.). (2000). Class and
its others. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
Lareau, A. (2003). Unequal childhoods: Class, race, and family life.
Berkeley: University of California Press.
LeCourt, D. (2004). Identity matters: Schooling the student body in
academic discourse. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
Leeds-Hurtwitz, W. (Ed.). (2005). From generation to generation:
Maintaining cultural identity over time. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press.
Lindquist, J. (2002). A place to stand: Politics and persuasion in a
working-class bar. New York: Oxford University Press.
Linkon, S. L. (Ed.), Teaching working class. Amherst, MA: University of
Massachusetts Press.
Linkon, S. L., Peckham, I., & Lanier-Nabors, B. G. (2004). Struggling with
class in English studies. College English, 67(2), 149-152.
Oakes, J. (2005). Keeping track: How schools structure inequality. New
Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
Rex, L. (2002). Exploring orientation in remaking high school readers'
literacies and identities. Linguistics and Education, 13(3), 271-302.
Sadowski, M. (Ed.). (2003). Adolescents at School: Perspectives on Youth,
Identity, and Education. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Publishing.
Seitz, D. (2004). Making work visible. College English, 67(2), 210-221.
Weis, L., & Fine, M. (Eds.). (2000). Construction sites: Excavating race,
class, and gender among urban youth. New York: Teachers College Press.

On 5/6/06 10:18 AM, "Peter Smagorinsky" <smago@uga.edu> wrote:

> for school-based people, I think that Eckert's Jocks and Burnouts is
> terrific, even if my students sometimes find it dated. p
> At 07:29 AM 5/6/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>> Thank you for putting the issue of class back before us, Steve.
>> Contemporary confusions over the concept of class are sure evident in
>> the review which I assume reflect the fuziness or unclarity in the books
>> reviewed.
>>
>> Suppose you had one, accessible, book to recommend to xmca'ites about
>> how to think about social class in the contemporary world, perhaps one that
>> included people's relations to the means of production. What would you
>> recommend?
>> mike
>>
>> On 5/5/06, Steve Gabosch <sgabosch@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought this review of books on class might be
>>> of interest to some. The first book reviewed is
>>> a compilation of articles on social class
>>> published in the New York Times last year.
>>>
>>> I don't happen to agree with the reviewers
>>> conclusions about class, but I find some of his
>>> observations and criticisms stimulating for further thought and research.
>>>
>>> - Steve
>>>

>>> Final paragraph of the review:
>>> "Does it enhance our understanding to look for
>>> classes in America? As has been seen, any group
>>> we choose to call the "middle class" is so large
>>> as to be of little analytical help. Nor do the
>>> huge majority who are not rich qualify as a
>>> class. Moreover, there remains a very well-paid
>>> tier of corporate executives between them and the
>>> truly rich. Yet, along with the increased
>>> concentration of wealth, we are seeing millions
>>> of Americans being laid off, settling for lower
>>> paying jobs, losing health coverage, and watching
>>> pensions evaporate. Economic inequality is
>>> increasing, just as the millions who are born and
>>> stay poor are not getting anything like a fair
>>> chance to improve their situation. Victims of
>>> outsourcing don't fit into a single class, nor do
>>> the people who suffer most from living in a
>>> society that is increasingly unequal and unjust.
>>> To see these trends as matters of class does not
>>> explain them. What is clear is that we have yet
>>> to see any convincing ways of reversing them."
>>>

>>> http://www.nybooks.com/articles/18995?email
>>> The New York Review of Books
>>> Volume 53, Number 9 · May 25, 2006
>>>

>>> Review
>>>
>>> The Rich and Everyone Else
>>>
>>> By Andrew Hacker
>>>

>>> Class Matters
>>> by correspondents of The New York Times, with an introduction by Bill
>>> Keller
>>> Times Books, 268 pp., $14.00 (paper)
>>>
>>> Inequality Matters: The Growing Economic Divide
>>> in America and Its Poisonous Consequences
>>> edited by James Lardner and David A. Smith
>>> Demos/New Press, 328 pp., $25.95
>>>
>>> The Chosen: The Hidden History of Admission and
>>> Exclusion at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton
>>> by Jerome Karabel
>>> Houghton Mifflin, 711 pp., $28.00

> [...]

Richard Beach
Professor of English Education
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
359 Peik Hall, 159 Pillsbury Dr., S. E.
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612-625-3893 rbeach@umn.edu
blog: Teaching Literature <http://teachingliterature.typepad.com/>
Teaching Literature to Adolescents website
<http://www.teachingliterature.org/teachingliterature/>
Teaching Media Literacy through the Web website
<http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rbeach/linksteachingmedia/index.htm>