Re: [xmca] talk about uncertainties!

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 09:30:00 PDT

Seems like Ragnar R was carried in by Steve without being heralded directly
and that you have stimulated a really great dicussion, Don.

Just as we seem to be using the term, constraint, differently, we probably
think about the issue of free will differently. Or maybe we do. I really
like your excercise on spanking and the certainty of experts. But I am
uncertain about the idea that we use constraints as a way to keep pandora's
box closed so we do not have to confront the idea of free will.

I posted this quote in another context earlier, but it seems relevant here.
>From A.R. Luria,
1932, Nature of human conflicts.

"Many observations support our view that the consideration of the voluntary
act as accomplished by "will-power" is a myth and that the human cannot by
direct force control his behavior any more than "a shadow can carry stones".
The development of the voluntary processes comes about as a result of the
elaboration of the various forms of behavior, the mobilization of the
Quasi-Bedurfnisse to achieve his ends. Voluntary behavior is the ability to
create stimuli and to subordinate them; or in other words, to bring into
being stimuli of a special order, directed to the organization of behavior.

The "Quasi-Bedurfniess" refernce is to a concept introduced by Kurt Lewin
about culturally shaped motives, or motives introduced into a situation a
psychologist could observe.

My experience coincides with yours, Don, that as educators, or
psychologists, or whatever we call ourselves, we are interested in causes
and we routinely oversimplify. We find it impossible to think relationally,
or co-relationally as bb puts it, except when we
have lots of tools at our disposal to get us to be able to look at clouds
and life from
two sides at the same time.

mike