RE: [xmca] nice, short article illustrating prolepsis

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@uga.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 03:06:24 PDT

As I understand it, determinism is fatalistic, while prolepsis is about
mediators that suggest a developmental path without insuring it. Plenty of
boys whose rooms are decorated with trucks and rocket ships grow up to be
gay interior designers. So I see it as those subtle forms of mediation that
project the future into the present, with human agency able to change the
anticipated trajectory.

My own interest in these things at the moment concerns the "hidden
curriculum" in schools which is proleptic, without insuring the outcome. p