[xmca] surfing lchc.ucsd.edu

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2006 - 17:43:16 PDT

I am in the process of writing up a retrospective account of international
activities involving LCHC and in the process
started rooting (er, surfing) around the lchc history and archives. I note
to my distress that a couple of the early
newsletters are missing (bibliographic rarities -- anyone got a copy?) and
some reports that were never published
but strike me as still being of some interest were rediscovered.

For those of you relatively new to xmca, you might want to check out those
old archives of lchc because they have some
interesting stories to tell. A LOT of great articles from the newsletter
never made it into the best of the newsletter volume
published by Cambridge. The special issue on cognition and art that came
from a conference held at Harvard with Howard
Gardner and his crew, Yrjo, and some outstanding Japanese scholars lept to
view. The earliest published work of Jean Lave that
led to her critique and reformulation of psychology/anthropology is there.
Great articles on the concept of context. Amazing stuff.
The idea for making all this available was Pablo del Rio's. Great idea. Mil
gracias. Gotta fix the execution. There is also an early (1984) formulation
of cultural psychology in light of LCHC's work and a report of the
introduction of the internet into the (then) USSR that shows just how
powerful the Wizard/ess can be, and how foolhardy, that may be of interest.

Meanwhile, the zoped discussion page hopes to be filling itself up with
candidate exemplary examples, Erlbaum is readying the Saxe, Sfard,
Hatano discussion of cultural-historical change for general distribution,
and I am trying to wrap my mind around the idea of being in San Francisco
friday afternoon.

Hope you all noticed Ceasar Chavez day. We here in southern california sure
did.
Viva la Raza! And the survival of democracy in the Americas.