Re: [xmca] Considering ARL's view of Romantic Science

From: JAG (joe.glick@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 23:04:20 PST

Are you telling us that Lenin was Aristotle? The doctrine of the 4
causes laid out in the Metaphysica talks about material and efficient
causes (on the one hand) - of what is it made? Who made it? and Final
and Formal causes on the other (what's it for?; What is it's
design/function/form?). Aristotle used this to both accept and reject
Plato at the same time "All men by nature desire to know - witness
thereof is the delight they take in their senses" (opening lines of M)
This is the most direct philosophical challenge in the language of the
idealists. He formulated the first "developmental" theory - where, in
opposition to everything being there to begin with and only having to
be remembered (anamnesis) it became there by a developmental proceess
- epigenesis - where material and efficient causes were in some way
guided by, constrained by, ultimately fated to end up as formal and
final causes.

Very deep developmental theory would recognize this as a fundamental
issue that is taken with Piaget by Vygotsky(ians) among others. It is
no less than a call to link activity to form and structure.

I've been pedantic enough for tonight. Be well and god bless us every
one. And if she doesn't let's not have Christmas, Passover or Kwanza
this year (Ramadan is excepted on grounds of not wanting to stir up
already agitated nests.

I think that the general notion here is that great ideas are great
ideas no matter who gets attribution for them.

Ernst Cassirer in his Philsophy of the Enlightenment (I think that's
the title) does a great job on showing the consequences of the split
between material and efficient on the one had and final and formal
causeson the other in social theory. Mike has already pointed this in
other contexts.

And, if you can't step in the same river twice, what's the point of
having a river, a foot or a canoe?