Re: [xmca] Considering ARL's view of Romantic Science

From: Beth Ferholt (bferholt@ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 18:10:11 PST

It's interesting to me that in 'rising to the concrete' of individual
cases Luria makes use of an artistic form -- the novel. He writes in
this chapter that he considers 'The Mind of a Mnemonist' and 'The Man
with a Shattered World' to be his efforts to revive the traditions
of romantic science, and both of these books stand out in their
discipline for their novelistic qualities. I am thinking about this
issue as I work on my paper for AERA, and any thoughts will be much
appreciated!
(Luria also writes that his autobiography itself was the 'unimagined'
story he wrote when he had not the time, nor the the individual with
'exceptional qualities', which were need to write another book
similar to 'The Mind of a Mnemonist' and 'The Man with a Shattered
World'! And, Mike and Karl's "Dialogic Autobiography" does, like
these two works of Luria's, challenge the linearity (and various
other restraints) of the traditional social science written text,
helping us 'rise to the concrete' of the individual case of Luria's
life and work, through the DVD which accompanies the book.
Completing the circle, in this DVD Oliver Sachs describes the
novelistic qualities of Luria's two works of romantic science with a
tone of voice, gestures and facial expressions which helped me to
understand Luria's Romantic Science much more fully ('concretely'?)
than I could have without the DVD ... although not much of this is
captured when transcribed, the following does capture something
because the words maintain their oral quality even on the page!:
“An entirely different sort of excitement came in when I read The
Mind of a Mnemonist. I read the first thirty pages thinking it was a
novel. And then I realized it wasn’t a novel, but a wonderful case
history, with all the accuracy of science but all the sensibility of
drama and the structure of a novel. I’m sort of a story teller
myself ... but certainly seeing The Mind of a Mnemonist ... fortified
me in my own feeling that I had to attempt some similar sort of
portraits of my own patients.” )
Beth