RE: [xmca] Fwd: from a valued colleague

From: Peg Griffin (Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 10:21:20 PST

Wow. I do not know this research. But knowing Heath and Labov and myriads
of other studies, I wonder what the researcher saw or the reader of the
research read so they would say that working class upbringing does "not
prepare their kids for a world in which verbal skills ... are so important."
So if that part is wrong it leaves us with what the dots left out "and the
ability to thrive in organizations." And that I don't wonder about; in fact
maybe it is a vicious circle -- upper middle class upbringing and upper
middle class organizations?
Has anyone seen the work about Spitalfield in London (Eve Gregory and her
colleagues I think)-- examples of non-mainstream-upper-middle-class
upbringing in different eras of life in England's social organization and
different immigrant/ethnic communities. Lots of variability to think over
and in that there is hope for analysis at least (who says that, Mike?). I
only know a little edge of that work but would love to hear about more of it
from those who know more of it.

Peg Griffin
LCHC