[xmca] Tool taxonomy

From: Lemi Daghan Acay (lacay@pgrad.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 19:33:23 PST

Sorry for the confusion;

I guess I need to clarify the references too. The paper attached to this e-mail which I have extensively discussed one and only one paragraph only is from the collected work and exact reference goes like this.

Yrjo Engestr¨om. When is tool? multiple meanings of artifact in human activity. In Learning working and imagining,

chapter 8, pages 171-195. Orienta-Konsultit, 1990.

I believe discussion of ideal should be brought into this discussion too (see my previous post). There are three other references for that but for now I will only give the pointer to Ilyenkov which you can find in Marxist.org. title is "Concept of ideal" 1977 and the link is

http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/marxists/archive/ilyenkov/works/ideal/ideal.htm

finally two other references in citation form is as follows

Marx W. Wartofsky. "Perception, representation, and the forms of action: towards an historical epistemology" in Models: Representation and the scientific understanding, volume 48 of Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science. D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, Holland, 1979.

Bakhurst, D. (1997). Activity, consciousness, and communication. In M. Cole, Y. Engeström, and O. Vasquez (eds.), Mind, culture, and activity: Seminal papers from the laboratory of comparative human cognition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, p. 147-163.

For interested reader I can post these two references in digital form too. Please continue to read to see my discussion and my questions on "When is tool? ..."

Thanks

Daghan ACAY

Lemi-- This should be sent to XMCA.

I am not sure what the source of the tool & symbol discussion is, p. 181. Collected works?
mike