Re: [xmca] re: creativity -- translation of a letter from Macedonia [Fwd: O kreativnosti]

From: Lois Holzman (lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org)
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 15:55:42 PST

Thanks, Lina, for letting us know about the event (I wish I was able to be
there with you in person). Adding to the invitation to play, I send along
the following poem by a student in our International Class, which was the

Lois

Either or

is very boring

when there is so much more

for us to draw on,

for us to explore...

Singular

plural

urban and rural

we are all part of the great big mural

the writing on the wall..

I am

in relation to you...

a relative relative of yours.

We

are in relation to more

we

if

we want to be...

And, if not,

we are alone in a plot

which is filled with action,

every frame a fraction of our lives

every line a dialogue of knives

or a bowl of cherries...

cutlasses or berries

machetes or dinner with the dignataries

who decides?

Do we have to take so many sides

Do we have to make divides

so wide

between either

or?

or

can we be a bit more

creative,

a little less

legislative

when it comes to

possibility?...

What can we possibly bring to be

that is not about

´me´...

that does not require the abduction of diversity

in order to exist...

Are we a group if there is no activity?

Is there ever no activity?

Can we engage

what others have for so long separated?

Is alienation not water to be navigated?

Are we not divorced from each other without

ever having been wed?

Should we not go on honey moon

instead?

Should we not be led more by our instincts

than by the forces of dread and the power

of what gets said?

What is the point of the daily grind, getting your shoes shined, wining and
dining and being confined to meanings that are underlined by people inclined
towards not being undermined?

what kind of ore can we find in a group mind?

What kind of threads and knots can we unwind

if we try together to unbind

rather than getting everything defined...as if we needed clarity

in order to progress...

as if we are reliant on logic to process stimulii

as if a dependency on abstract assumptions that agree

will avoid addiction to emocionality.

Good, bad and ugly,

is it possible to be all three

at once?

truly, madly, deeply...

which is the performance

for now?

How do we choose who we are?

Are we ever any one?

How do you carry on knowing that what you have done or said

is not what you thought in your head and

not what you wanted to do or say

yet you did it or said it and now it is done...

You have to go on from there you cannot run away

to start again...

although you are taught that you may.