[xmca] technological tools & foreign cultures

From: basile zimmermann (Basile.Zimmermann@lettres.unige.ch)
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 09:58:49 PST

Hello,

I was wondering if someone on the list could help me find information
on "affordances or cultural constraints 'inside' technological tools,
based on history and design".

Things like when an ASCII keyboard is based on the latin alphabet,
which is inconvenient for writing in Chinese, the issue of 'corrupted'
French (and other foreign languages) accents in e-mails*, or the fact
that websites names can only be written in plain English etc.

Any help really appreciated (I am looking for more
references/comparisons for my thesis) --thanks very much in advance,

Basile

*I actually wrote myself a very short "first-try" article (5 pages) on
these issues about a year ago. If someone wants to have a look email me
privately and I'll be very glad to send a copy.

--

Basile Zimmermann Teaching assistant

Unit of Chinese Studies Faculty of Arts University of Geneva 2, rue de Candolle 1211 Geneva 4 Suisse

Phone. +41 22 379 72 40 Fax. +41 22 379 72 81 E-mail. basile.zimmermann@lettres.unige.ch Web. http://www.unige.ch/lettres/meslo/chinois/