[xmca] effectivity?

From: bb (xmca-whoever@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jan 21 2006 - 17:38:53 PST

From: "Peg Griffin" <Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net>
> And, as Ann Brown often reminded me, effectivity is a necessary complement
> to affordance in the Gibson world. How does that fit into your commentary,
> please, bb?
> Peg

Hi Peg, you're just the person from whom I'd appreciate comments about children learning to read. To briefly answer your question, although I am drawing upon Barker’s ecological psychology rather than Gibson’s, I suppose the transition to effectivity can be instantiated in the following way. Children first learning concepts about print, let's say in english, have to be mindful about reading left to right and top to bottom, then later can take these constraints on the directionality of print for granted, i.e. becoming operational, as they progress through reading things like leveled texts. Does this make sense?

attached mail follows: