Re: [xmca] Artifacts, tools and classrooms

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 21 2006 - 15:55:49 PST

Geraldine-- what, for my persective, is the duality of artifacts, means that
how we interpret their
positioing in action/activity is always problematic, never mind my views,
which are equally
problematic!

Perhaps we need to post the Wartofsky text in order to figure out what he
meant by his three "levels" of artifacts
and what range of meanings we construct using those terms. ideas. For me,
for example, it is simply unclear
your example of a reading practice functioning as "an exercise with
survielllance by the child as teacher" qualifies
according to my interpretation of Wartofsky.

That would probably be a good text to have available for discussion anyway.
I'll see if I can find it or perhaps someone
on xmca could tell us where it might be found in byte sized bits.
mike