Re: [xmca] Artifacts, Tools and Classroom

From: bb (xmca-whoever@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 05:49:30 PST

If we are thinking neither of how mathematical signs are used in engineering,
in designing things, in architecture, changing the physical world -- nor how
mastering tools necessitate mastering oneself, as in a child picking up a
hammer for the first time, or putting on a pair of ice skates, then the raw
quote from LSV makes wonderful but naive sense. Tools and signs as
categories expressing difference in function, theoretically, is just fine.
But in instantiation there are many things that are both tools AND signs.

bb