Re: [xmca] Artifacts, Tools and Classroom

From: Steve Gabosch (sgabosch@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 12:42:11 PST

There were several aspects of the paper I found
tantalizing. Perhaps, if any of the authors get a chance, they could
elaborate.

In the example of the college students studying out of an English
language teaching textbook - "what emerged during the event was that
the mode of response to this material differed according to the
social composition of the groups" and "the explanation for the fewer
periods of silence in the assisted groups was that the senior student
often introduced the task by reading aloud from the textbook and
explaining to the other students what was required." Developments
seemed to be directly impacted by the social composition of the
groups and the role of a senior student, conditions which the paper
says varied between the two groups. The unit of analysis, silence,
was an especially interesting way of comparing the verbal behavior of
the college students. I found myself wondering about adding together
the seconds of time that the students in the assisted class were
listening to the senior student to see if that shed additional light
on the different conditions they experienced and the nature of the
periods of silence.

Another interesting observation was "... all three artifacts mediated
emotional responses." Instances of pleasure, anger, and stress are
mentioned. How did the flip chart, the puzzle and the textbook
mediate these behaviors? In particular, in the college students,
how did the interventions of the senior student as opposed to being
in what may have felt like "awkward" silences in the unassisted group
impact stress?

- Steve