[xmca] A death in the Family

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 08:57:50 PST

This morning I learned that our long term colleague and friend, Giyoo
Hatano, succumbed to
a virulent form of pneumonia today. Giyoo was a brilliant, generous,
internationalist scholar whose
work on culture and development, committment ot international fraternalism,
and bettering the life
of people around him is an infinitely rare virtue at any time. But we knew
him at this time and his loss
is a shock to my system as I now meet my graduate class and try to
concentrate on the work of the day,
which will include thoughts on how to make his memory a living cultural
presence for human development in the
years to come.

In deep sadness.