[xmca] observation tools

From: Russell, Donna L (russelldl@umkc.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 17:05:52 PST

just for fun:

This issue of observer/observed relational effects is also an issue in the 'hard' science of quantum physics because of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, the writings of John Bell on quantum mechanics and physicist John Wheeler's writing on "acts of observer-participancy"-- to name a few. Physics now tells us that there is no separation between subject and object- (Cartesian duality) that only "objective tendencies" and "potentialites" occur in nature.

It seems that we are philosophically in the same boat. The similairities between the discussion of defining the process of observation of preschoolers and defining the observation of quarks is not without some irony - perhaps we should ask a physicist to join the group?

In support of the principal that we 'see' reality relationally- Bruner notes that we see what we are prepared/anticipate seeing

"perception is to some unsepecifiable degree an instrument of the world as we have structured it by our expectancies. Moreover, it is characteristic of complex perceptual processes that they tend where possible to assimilate whatever is seen or heard to what is expected." Actual Minds, Possible Worlds.

As a final note- the physicist Wheeler also said "I do take 100 percent seriously the idea that the world is a figment of the imagination."

Donna

Donna L. Russell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Instructional Technology