Re: [xmca] definition of 'activity'

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 08 2006 - 09:33:53 PST

Yes, bb, we are lost in that music.
Andy-- There is a Russian psychological dictionary that might help, but so
would a number of the articles from the Aarhus conference.
Your entering point, like that of my better educated European colleagues, is
from philosophy with considerations of the (philosophical)
concept of labor, etc., as the starting pint. My entry point was from a
common sense encounter with people's whose life worlds were
radically different from mine (Liberian country people in the mid-1960's)
and a very common sense notion of activity as "what people do."
(The issue for me was to understand why they appeared to experience so much
difficulty with early school math). One can see this kind
of starting point in formulations such as Leontiev's invocation of a worker
at a potter's wheel, which is how I made the connections between
what I then thought of as context). But Leontiev never studied what potters
or bus drivers or anyone else "really does," nor, except under
very tight controls did any other of the activity theorists in Russia
(exceptions, what fighter pilots do, what train dispatcher's do, but under
conditions where the conditions of work themselves, the "large context" was
not open to investigation-- psychology cut off from culture and social life
engaged in by people for whom culture and social life were the philosophical
starting points).

One can see the gradual intermixing/internationalization of these ideas in
publications across the 1980's and 1990's as non-Soviets stuggled to
understand and appropriate the ideas of their Soviet colleagues. Another
good source for writings were are not sufficiently aware of is the last
few years of J. Russian East European Psych where Pentti Hakarainen and
colleagues have done a great job of broadening access to other and
new Russian writing.

All very relevant to issues of subjectivity of recent xmca vintage.

mike