RE: [xmca] Subjectivity of participants in Community OrganizationalCultures

From: Stetsenko, Anna (AStetsenko@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 15:03:47 PST

Mike, I would recommend the following:
1. for a general background:

Identity and Agency in Cultural Worlds by Holland et al. (great intro using Vygotsky and Bakhtin and other good stuff)

2. for an example of work with youth in communities with emphasis on subjectivity:

Struggles for subjectivity: Identity, Action and Youth experience, by McDonald, CUP, 1999

3. for action research methodology (which I think is compatible with the interest in subjectivity and community work):

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~mnspwr/Papers/TransformationalSocialScience.htm <http://www.bath.ac.uk/~mnspwr/Papers/TransformationalSocialScience.htm>

4. i would also recommend to look up Journal of Community Psychology for examples of work done in various theoretical frameworks.

5. certainly optional, to link subjectivity to Activity theory, Leontiev in particular (if the person is interested in this): my paper with IA in Theory and Psychology on self in CHAT.

>From here it depends if the person is interested in gender issues, or immigration issues or some other more specific aspects of work - much more could be added.

Hope this helps in one way or another... just a quick reaction on the way out of the door,

AStetsenko