RE: [xmca] "yes, and"

From: Carol Macdonald (macdonaldc@educ.wits.ac.za)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 23:53:45 PST

Dot
Thank you for those words. This is how I experience CH Psychology and XMCA
in particular. To give a very concrete example: I had to give my papers on
the 4th and 5th day at Seville. At any normal conference, I would have had
bad butterflies and not be able to really engage with what was going before,
because of performance anxiety. As it was the atmosphere was totally
unpretentious and very inclusive-so by the time I came to give my papers, I
wasn't even nervous and enjoyed giving them; and naturally, the audience was
supportive and constructive. So, for me this community is very special and
not dog-eat-dog at all (like theoretical linguistics, as you mentioned), and
a great place to make one's home. Can anybody tell me why this is? What is
the history of this inclusivity and cooperativeness (apart from Mike's
efforts on all our behalves)?

Carol

Subject: [xmca] "yes, and"

Thank all of you for defusing things without censorship. Anna stated my
concern perfectly: We have big issues out in the world to help solve, really
big issues, and we are a small group. I used to attend the AAAA (American
Assoc. of Applied Linguistics) conferences some years ago, and was always
surprised when people inspired by Chomsky wanted to have real
confrontational debates. I never once saw anyone within sociocultural theory
get into those situations, and I never saw them "following the bait" to
argue in confrontational tones. Although I was attracted to the theories of
Vygotsky and his school, it was this type of personal behavior that really
allowed me to accept Russian cultural-historical theory, or any other title
we give it all. The idea of "yes, and" is great. Thanks, Lois. Thank all of
you for your words and poems, etc.
Dot