Re: [xmca] Stetsenko- Material practice, human subjectivity, intersubjectivity

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 19:46:45 PST

Yo all!

The issues being discussed among people with very different experiences of
life and history and very differnt languages would be complicated to decide
in
favor of one or another "side" if all were twins living in more or less
identical sociocultural
environments!! They have not been conclusively resolved ever.

Many members of this list/commuity have given generously of their time and
knowledge to
try to express their understandings. At times these comments have seemed
ungenerous or
conflictive. Those without glass in their homes may feel free to throw
rocks, but I believe it would
be really destructive to each and everyone of us to feel such certainties of
other's "culpable" motives/
understandings/statements that people turned on each other. There are much
more obvious intellectual/
social targets of our anger threatening the lives of your children and
grandchildren, never mind our privileged
selves who can participate in this conversation.

If you have never done so, read Doesteoevsky's The Idiot. I side with Prince
Myishkin. And thou?

So far as I know, the definitive solution to the issues raised by Anna have
never been definitively solved. That does not
mean that I endorse all her views. I endorse this discussion, We face
incredible challenges as a species, never mind
our variously self interested subgroups. My adivce? Tread softly.

Those who are absolutely certain of the truth shoiuld of course try to save
us benighted downtrodden idots. But those
who have doubts should tread as softly as possible while expressing their
very best thoughtout opinions-- and no one
should follow my foolish exampe in hitting reply and continuing to resist
the idea that xmca should be a censored discusion.
Who is so convinced of their virtue and bravery that THEY will bell the cat?
This is not relativism. It is antifratricidalism.
mike