Re: [xmca] Ilyenkov in A Stetsenko's articles

From: Victor (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Sat Nov 05 2005 - 00:29:52 PST

Mike,

Regarding the first issue:

You've virtually read my mind. In my latest response to Martin, while
listing the kinds of valuable practical research possible to CHAT, I was, in
fact, thinking about the importance of developing effective models for
teaching people with out of the ordinary organically influenced faculties:
Autism, Asperger syndrome, extreme dyslexia and dyscalculia and so on.
Interesting.

I've had some personal experience with some of these extraordinary faculties
and close contact with others, students, family members and others. I've
yet to find out-of-the-ordinary organic faculties that completely inhibit
the development of personality, but they certainly do have considerable
impact on the personality developed.

Naturally, the effective factor in this regard, other than the special
faculties themselves, is the material and social context of the effected
person. Cliff Geertz in _Local Knowledge_ (1983) contrasts the treatment of
organically unusual individuals by Navajo communities with those practices
characteristic of educational practice in the US of the 1950's and 60's. In
Navajo communities observed by Geertz, unusual individuals, normally
regarded as disabled in our educational system, are commonly afforded
considerable respect and even awe. Unfortunately Geertz does not go into
sufficient detail on the effect of the special roles accorded these
individuals among the Navajo to enable much more than a notation of the
difference, however, it certainly suggests that organic disabilities and the
social relations they imply are social-historical rather than inherent in
the unusual organic faculty. The Blind-deaf person, reduced to a
pencil-making machine, is certainly less likely to develop a rich and
extensive personality than, say, one who has had the opportunity and help in
developing means for adapting to, say, an academic environment, but I have
my doubts if he is ever entirely depersonalized and I would hardly regard
the state of his personality to be exclusively the function of his organic
makeup.

Another example of serious inhibition of the development or expression of
personality, may be found in the social depersonalization of extremely
oppressed peoples, be they black slaves in the antebellum plantation economy
of the Southern States of the US, Jews, Gypsies and other "undesirables" in
the work and extermination camps of Nazi Germany, or the prisoners currently
incarcerated in the Guantanamo detention facility. To the argument that
these examples are inappropriate since they involve people with a personal
history and with learned skills, etc., I would propose that a totalitarian,
intense, and sustained policy of depersonalization quickly disposes of these
backgrounds and produces the same effect that might be found in the normal
casual treatment by normal educational systems of that population we call
the "disadvantaged". I bring this up because here there is plenty of
evidence (including some I've collected) that monolithic models of social
practice even in these extreme circumstances simply do not accurately
represent the concrete interaction between oppressors and oppressed, that
even here exceptions to conventional practice are rife and may even develop
into special subcultures of "humanization" within universal contexts of
depersonalization.

 Three points:

  1.. Unusual faculties, blind-deafness among them, are at least for
socialized man important but never the exclusive components of the
socialization of unusual persons. The fact that diverse communities may
develop different social conventions for relating to such persons is a clear
indication of the dialectical relation between the "organically" special
properties of individuals and social practice in the historicity of the
social integration of biologically unusual persons in the community.
  2.. Even in circumstances where convention does encourage extreme
depersonalization of certain others, social practice is never a determinant
of concrete practice and individual cases contrary to practice will
inevitably emerge, some of which may become particular "islands" of human
sociality within the sea of oppressive dehumanization. This too suggests
that dehumanization or depersonalization, whatever its origins is a
historical development, and that discordant subjective activity even under
general conditions of extreme social stress inevitably modify the totality
of normative social relations and may become sub-communal practice and even
evolve into universal practices that supplant dominant forms of social
practice.
 QED: I see the laudable project of helping the Blind-Deaf to adapt to the
most complex aspects of modern civilization as test of the capacity of
developed educational method in transforming some of the most prejudiced
against social groups into highly adapted members of the most developed
forms of modern community, but hardly as an acid test for the development of
personality in general.

Victor Friedlander-Rakocz
victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il