[xmca] A woman sat down, the world turned arounde

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 31 2005 - 18:09:44 PST

Some of us old folks remember segregation. When a Black person could not
ride in the
front of a bus. When, as a new grad student in Bloomington Indiana there
were cross burnings
on the lawns of the fraternity that allowed a great basketball player to
become a member and
Woolworths served colored folks in a special section When a Jew could not
own a house in La Jolla. When Nelson Mandela
was imprisoned and Steve Biko was killed.

Today, for the first time in the history of this country a Black woman who
died a few days
ago lay "in state" in the nation's capital. All sort of people trumpeted
what a wonderful
moment it was.

Myself? I remember that Rosa Parks was an NAACP activist long before she sat
in the front
of that bus. She had read *The souls of black folk*. Perhaps, at times,
history is made on the whim of the moment. But don't believe
it about Rosa Parks. She knew what she was doing and HAD BEEN DOING for a
long time.
That this government in this time, became the first to act decently when so
many went before
without recognition is shameful. And, I fear, it is getting worse, Shame on
me. And not only me.

Boo!